The Community Terms constitute a legal agreement between you and Thomson Reuters and govern all use of the Community, including all content (including content posted by users), information, and services provided on or through the Community.
Access to and use of any other site, product or service, including those referenced in these Community Terms or linked to from the Community which are provided by Thomson Reuters or its affiliates, are governed by the terms of the license or subscription agreement or other agreement with us or any third party related to that service, product or site.
These Community Terms are intended to protect the interests of users of the Community as well as the interests of Thomson Reuters. By accessing and using the Community, you are agreeing and acknowledging that you have read, understood, and agreed to be bound by these Community Terms.
Thomson Reuters may update these Community Terms at any time, with or without giving you prior notice to you and other users. You can find the most recent version of the Community Terms on this Community website.
Each time you access the Community, you agree to be bound by the Community Terms then in effect. We may revise these Community Terms at any time. You agree to review the Community Terms on a regular basis and take notice of any changes we may make, as they are legally binding on you.
If you do not agree to these Community Terms, please do not use this Community.
We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
Purpose of the Community
- The purpose of the Community is to create an interactive, online community for users of Practical Law to connect, share know-how, collaborate and provide peer to peer support on topics of mutual interest. By accessing this Community, you can post questions, answers, comments, or, in general, share information.
- In these Community Terms, the term "Content" refers to any information, materials, services and content available in the Community whether provided by us or by any user and "User Content" refers to any information, including personal and business profile data, messages, comments, data, text, photos, blogs, graphics or other materials posted in or uploaded to the Community by any user.
- Please remember that any User Content you disclose in the Community may be visible to all members of the Community, unless you select the "private post" option when posting to other users or subject groups directly.
- Since User Content may be seen by all members of the Community, you should exercise caution to ensure that you do not disclose information that might be considered private or confidential or that may infringe any third party proprietary rights when using the Community. Further information about the standards that apply to User Content are set out in paragraph 4 below.
- The Community is aimed at people residing in the United Kingdom. If you are using the Community from outside the United Kingdom the Content available to you via the Community may not be relevant or appropriate for you in the country or jurisdiction in which you are based and you should seek local law advice. The use of any Content is at the users' own risk.
Right to use the Community
- By making this Community available to users of Practical Law, we grant you a worldwide, nonexclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited license to access and use of the Content made available in the Community, strictly subject to and in accordance with these Community Terms.
- We reserve the right to withdraw your right to use the Community at any time and for any reason, with or without prior notice being given to you. Further details of the actions we may take if you fail to comply with these Community Terms are set out at paragraph 15 (Breach of the Community Terms and Consequences) below.
- Thomson Reuters has no obligation to store, and may remove or delete, any Content (including any User Content posted or uploaded by you) from the public forums which form part of the Community for any reason, at any time and without notice to you or any other users if it is in breach of these Community Terms. You are solely responsible for security and backing up any User Content you own and post or upload to the Community whether in the public forums or privately or in private groups.
Acceptable Usage of the Community
- By accessing, browsing, or using the Community, you agree to the following:
- you will comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- you will not use the Community in any manner that could harm, infect, take over, disable, overburden, or otherwise impair any of our computer system;
- you will not interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of this Community or the Content made available in or via the Community;
- you will not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any services, accounts, computer systems or networks connected to any server used for this Community, through password mining, hacking, or any other means;
- you will not seek to gain access to any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available by Thomson Reuters;
- where documents are shared by other users for the purposes of collaboration you may edit, copy, download and use the relevant User Content for this purposes but you will not reproduce, duplicate, copy, download, store, further transmit, disseminate, transfer, or otherwise exploit this Community or any Content except as permitted in connection with the intended purpose; you will not use any framing techniques to enclose any portion of this Community (including, but not limited to, images, text, page layout, and form) without our prior written consent;
- you will not make any use of any trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos, and graphics of Thomson Reuters, without our prior written consent;
- you will not, directly or indirectly, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discern the source code or architecture of any feature or component of the Community or extract information about usage, individual identities, or users;
- you will not use any robot, spider, other automatic software or device, or manual process to monitor or copy the Community, without our prior written consent; and
- you will not collect any email addresses made available on this site for purposes of promotions or marketing campaigns.
- You further agree that in using the Community and submitting any User Content you will comply with the content standards set out in paragraph 4 below.
Submission of User Content to the Community and Content Standards
- The Community allows users to post User Content (as defined in paragraph 1.2 above) which will be seen by all member of the Community unless it posted privately. You are solely responsible for your use of the Community and any User Content posted or made available by you. You are also solely responsible for the use you make use of any Content (including any User Content posted by other users): any such use is at your own risk.
- Where you post User Content you should ensure that:
- it is accurate (where it states or contains facts);
- where it contains opinions, those opinions are genuinely held;
- it is relevant or appropriate within the context within which it is posted;
- you have the right to post it in the Community (see paragraph 5 below); and
- it complies with the applicable laws in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted or uploaded.
- By using the Community, you agree not to post, upload to, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish in the Community any User Content which:
- is defamatory, obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory or is likely to harass, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- discloses the name, address, telephone, mobile, fax number, e-mail address or any other personal data in respect of any individual in the public forum (although you may share your own contact details or those of others, provided that you have obtained their prior consent, privately in a private post);
- infringes the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any other person
- breaches any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or duty of confidence;
- is posted to impersonate any person or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or gives the impression that the User Content emanates from Thomson Reuters or any other person, if this is not the case;
- is false, misleading or fraudulent or is in contempt of court;
- advocates, promotes or incites or may incite any third party to commit or assist any unlawful or criminal act or which is likely to be understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of any act or terrorism or other offence;
- contains viruses, spyware, malware, corrupted data or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files;
- contains any advertising or marketing material, (including without limitation any advertisement for legal services, legal service providers or lawyer referral services any services or weblinks to other sites relating to any such matters) or political campaigning or spam; or
- in our sole judgment is objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Community or which may expose us or users of the Community to any harm or liability of any type.
- We may moderate the User Content posted or uploaded to the Community for compliance with these Community Terms but we do not routinely do so. We do not act as editor or represent the accuracy of any User Content. We are under no obligation to you or any other person to oversee, verify, monitor or moderate the Community and, if we do moderate the Community, may stop doing this at any time. We reserve the right to remove, or disable access to, any User Content which we deem to be in breach of these Community Terms at any time, without giving you any prior notice of this.
- Any comments, suggestions, ideas or recommendations you provide in the Community related to our information products, software products or hosted services are our exclusive property and we may use them as we see fit.
- Thomson Reuters takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any User Content posted, stored or uploaded by you or any third party, or for any loss or damage to it or arising from it nor are we liable for any User Content which is not in accordance with the Content Standards set out paragraph 4.2 and 4.3 above.
- Any use of the Community in breach of these Community Terms may result in termination or suspension of your right to use the Community as described in paragraph 15 (Breach of the Community Terms and Consequences) below.
- We are not responsible for any User Content which is posted privately and may not be able to moderate or remove such User Content, unless we are made aware of it.
- If you wish to complain about any User Content or use of the Community, please email us at email@example.com. We will then review the matter and decide whether there has been a breach of these Community Rules. If in our opinion there has been a breach of these Community Terms we may take any of the actions referred to in paragraph 15 (Breach of the Community Terms and Consequences).
Ownership and Licensing of User Content
- Where you publish your own original User Content in the Community, you will retain your rights in that User Content. You are responsible for any User Content that you post in the Community and any damage or harm caused to you or to others as a result of your use of the Community.
- You represent and warrant that:
- you own the rights to the User Content that you post or upload or you otherwise have the right to post or upload such User Content to the Community and to grant the rights to use it set out in paragraph 5.3 of these Community Terms;
- the User Content is accurate and not misleading; and
- use and posting or uploading of the User Content to the Community by you does not breach these Community Terms and will not infringe any rights of, or cause injury to, any individual.
- If you post, upload or submit User Content to the Community you grant Thomson Reuters and its affiliates a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right to freely use, edit, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute and display such User Content throughout the world in any media provided that it is used in aggregated form and/or appropriate attribution is given to the author of that User Content.
- By posting, uploading or submitting User Content to the Community, you also grant other users of the Community a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive and right to use your User Content for their personal use giving appropriate attribution to the author of that User Content, where this is stated in the User Content. If you are not in a position to grant such a licence to use such User Content, please do not submit the User Content to the Community.
- You should not use any User Content posted or uploaded by other users or by us for commercial purposes or seek to commercialise or exploit such User Content commercially, unless you have obtained the right to do so from the owner of that Content. You are responsible for any use you make of the User Content and the consequences of such use.
Registration and Account Informatio
- In order to use the Community, you will need to register as a user and create an account. By registering or creating an account, you agree to provide accurate and complete information and to inform us of any changes to that information from time to time.
- By registering or creating an account to use the Community, you agree that you will only use your legal first and last name and provide accurate information about yourself. You must not impersonate any person, use a false name or use a pseudonym.
- Each registration is for a single user only, unless otherwise expressly stated on the registration page.
- You are responsible for keeping your account login details and password confidential. You must not disclose this information to any third party. You also agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur using your account or password and the results of such use. If you believe there has been unauthorized use, you must notify us as soon as possible by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration data and any other information which we obtain about you through your use of the Community will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement on the community website. By submitting information to us as part of any registration, you consent to the possible transfer of such information outside of your home country.
- We have the right to disable your account at any time if, in our reasonable opinion, you have failed to comply with the provisions of these Community Terms as detailed in paragraph 15 below.
Please review the Privacy Statement for a description of our privacy practices and an explanation of how we may use any personal information collected in the course of your use of the Community.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Except as stated in paragraph 5 above in relation to use of Content and User Content, no part of this Community or any Content which is owned by us or forms part of any of our products may be reproduced, duplicated, copied, downloaded, stored, further transmitted, disseminated, transferred, or otherwise exploited without our prior written consent or as permitted by our subscription terms for the relevant Content.
- If you believe that any Content infringes your or any third party's intellectual property rights, you should notify us as soon as reasonably practicable by emailing us at email@example.com
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- We provide this Community and all the Content on it and available through it on an "as is" and "as available" basis without warranty of any kind. We make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation or availability of the Community, the Content or the information or services made available via the Community or that operation and availability of the Community or Content available through use of the Community will be error-free.
- All implied conditions, warranties, representations of other terms that may apply to the provisions of this Community and the Content made available by us on it or through it are hereby excluded to the maximum extent permitted by the applicable law.
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, the Community; or
- use of or reliance on any Content made available on or through the Community.
In particular, neither Thomson Reuters nor its directors, officers, employees or agents will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- Any views or opinions contained in any User Content which is made available in or through Community by a user, reflects the views and opinions of that user and does not reflect the views or opinions of Thomson Reuters or directors, officers, employees or agents.
No Legal Advice.
- The Content made available through the Community is not intended to be, and must not be used as legal advice or a substitute for obtaining independent legal advice which is relevant and appropriate to the user's specific requirements. No lawyer-client relationship will be created by between users or between us and any user as a result of use of the Community or any of the Content made available through it. Where appropriate, users should consult their own lawyers for legal advice.
- You accept that any use of the Community or any Content made available via the Community is at your own risk. In no circumstances shall we have any liability to any user for any reliance on information or content obtained through the use of this Community or Content made available through it
- You acknowledge and agree that in no circumstances will Thomson Reuters or its directors, officers, employees or agents provide legal, tax, accounting financial or other qualified professional advice via the Community and the Community and its Content it not intended to be a substitute for obtaining advice from a competent lawyer or other professional. If legal, tax, accounting, financial or other advice or other expert assistance is required, you should seek the services of a competent professional person with appropriate experience in the relevant field.
No Endorsement of Lawyers or other Professional Advisers
- This Community is not and is not intended to be used as a referral service for lawyers, law firms, providers of legal services or any other professional advisers of any kind.
- Thomson Reuters does not make any representation about the quality of legal services or the qualifications of any lawyer, law firm or provider of legal services or other professional advice.
- If you are a lawyer or other professional participating using the Community, you acknowledge that the Rules or Codes of Professional Conduct (collectively, 'Rules') of the jurisdictions in which you are authorised to practice apply to all aspects of your participation and use of the Community and that you will abide by such Rules.
- Neither Thomson Reuters nor its directors, officers, employees or agents is responsible for your compliance with any Rules applicable to you or to any other user.
- You agree that any Content provided through the Community will be used for general information only, and not for the provision of legal advice or the practice of law or any other professional services.
Links to Third Party Sites
- The Community may provide links to other third-party websites or resources if these are posted by Users. We make no representations whatsoever about any other websites or resource which you may access through the Community.
- Since we have no control over any websites and resources which are linked to via the Community, you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the availability of such external websites or resources and are not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such websites or resources. It is your responsibility to make sure that, if you use any external websites or resources, you take appropriate precautions to ensure that you have adequate protection in place to protect your systems and devices from any viruses, worms, trojan horses and other items of a destructive nature which may result from you accessing any websites or resources which are linked to in the Community.
- Any references in the Community to any names, marks, products or services of any third parties or hypertext links to third party sites or information do not constitute or imply an endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation of, or affiliation with the third party or its products and services on the part of Thomson Reuters.
- Thomson Reuters makes no representation or warranty as to any User Content or other third-party content, products or services which are posted in or referred to in the Community or linked to from the Community and you agree that Thomson Reuters will not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such User Content or third-party content, products or services available on or through the use of the Community or to which a link is posted in the Community.
Data Aggregation and its use by Thomson Reuters
- By using the Community, you grant Thomson Reuters and its affiliates permission to aggregate your non-personally identifiable data which you enter or upload with that of other users of Thomson Reuters products/services. For example, this means that we may use that aggregated data to improve services, design promotions or provide ways for you to compare business practices with other users.
- In addition, by using the Community you also grant us permission to:
- use information about your business and experience which we gain through your use of the Community to help us provide and enhance our products;
- combine your business data which we gain through your use of the Community, if any, with that of others in a way that does not identify you or any individual personally; and
- share or publish summary results relating to research data and to distribute or license such data to third parties.
Breach of the Community Terms and Consequences
- If we consider that you have failed to comply with these Community Terms we may, at our discretion take such action as we consider appropriate any may result in us taking all or any of the following actions:
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Community;
- immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any User Content already posted in the Community;
- issue of a warning to you;
- legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach of these Community Terms;
- further legal action against you; or
- disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
- Subject to the provisions of paragraph 9.1, we exclude liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of these Community Terms. The actions described in paragraph 15.1 above are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
- If we withdraw your right to use the Community, you must immediately destroy all copies of Content of any kind downloaded from the Community which are in your possession or under your control. You have no right to use any Content, except as set out in these Community Terms or as otherwise permitted by the terms of the license or subscription agreement or other agreement with us or any third party related to our products and services.
- Thomson Reuters shall not be liable to you or any third party for denial, termination or restriction of access to the Community. Should you object to any terms and conditions of these Terms, or to any subsequent modifications thereto, your only recourse is to immediately discontinue use of the Community.
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Thomson Reuters and its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, agents, licensors, and suppliers harmless from and against all claims, losses, expenses, damages, and costs, including reasonable professional fees, resulting from any breach of these Community Terms by you.
If any provision of these Community Terms is held to be void, invalid, unenforceable or illegal by a court, the validity and enforceability of the other provisions will not be affected.
The failure by us to enforce any provision of the Community Terms will not constitute or be construed as a waiver of such provision or the right to enforce them at a later date.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
- The Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law.
- You hereby agree that any disputes arising under or in connection with these Community Terms, the Community, the Content or its use shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales and you hereby waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
If you have any questions about these Community Terms, or about the Community or Content, available in and via the Community or you wish to report any inappropriate Content, infringement of intellectual property right or use of Content otherwise than as permitted by these Community Terms, you may contact us using any of the methods described on our contact us page link or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will post any changes to these Community Terms in this Community. These Community Terms were last updated on 26 November 2018.